Back last year I bought a new coffee table and because I’m a lover of all things rose gold of course it had to be that colour. I searched and searched for months for the right style coffee table, and although there were plenty on the market they all seemed to have a black glass top which looks amazing when it clean but by god it doesn’t half attract the dust even when it’s just been wiped!
I didn’t want to get rid of the tables because one was a gift and the other less than a year old but something had to give as I was losing the war against the dust and mixed in with dribble finger prints from my one year old they always looked dirty!
I decided that I would like to update these with a marble top and as real marble is so expensive we opted to go for the cheaper alternative and wrap the tops in a marble effect vinyl. It has taken months to find marble effect vinyl that was long enough to wrap the tops without a join but finally this weekend we found the perfect roll in our local B&Q store.
As it was a flat surface it was fairly easy to to do, It just took a few attempts to get all of the air bubbles out from under the vinyl but I am so pleased with the result.
By wrapping the tops of our tables it has lifted the room so much and they match our decor so much better now. I wish I had done this months ago. For the sake of £10 we have transformed the centre price of our living room at what I would consider to be a bargain!
Have any of you guys attempted to update your furniture with sticky back plastic / vinyl, if so I would love to see your projects.
I had a new carpet fitted in my bedroom over the weekend and with this being the only component left to modernise the room from the old lady style decor of the person I bought the house from I felt that I wanted my night stands to match the room but I didn’t want to buy new ones just yet. I decided that vinyl wrapping them would hide the ugly worn marks that they had and bring them in line with the new colour scheme of the room.
Here is how they turned out. The first one took a bit longer and as really ain’t a pro at this it did take some time to get them right. I am really pleased with the finish and it was the perfect project for a rainy day.
I started from the top and worked my way down the cabinet. The top drawer was the trickiest because of the frosted window in it but after some perseverance I got there in the end! The handles were removed to give a professional finish.
Here are some half way through pics showing the progress I was making. It may have been very slow progress but I was progress non the less! perseverance is key when it comes to vinyl wrapping. It really isn’t for those with a short temper.
Cheeky one down, one to go shot!
I was really pleased with the difference that a clean finish made. Almost makes them look like new.
I would love to know you thoughts on this upcycling project and I would like to hear about your projects.