So we’ve been at it again! This time the kitchen was in the firing line! Those dated wooden cabinets just had to go! They were bringing the whole room down! Since we moved in back in 2016 we have slowly added our own touch to every room and this was one of the only ones we still weren’t happy with!
Eventually I want an extension which will house a new kitchen and I would rather save the new kitchen feeling and the money for when that happens so for the time being we decided to refresh what we had with some cabinet paint.
We had already done a fair bit in here at this point like painting the ceiling which was the same colour as the cabinets and we also painted the tiles which had a speckled brown finish with ducks on them. Nothing seemed to look right together when it was like this.
After a full day of prep work which solely consisted of sanding off the sheen and years of general kitchen grime off the cupboards and then we began painting. Dan has had his air line and compressor set up in the garage for years and only this year started using it so everything was sprayed to get a more even finish. Because it was sprayed we managed to keep the grain effect which I love!
I had some real trouble trying to decide on new handles for the doors and drawers. I didn’t want anything too fancy looking we were were going for a minimalist look. They had to be silver to match all the other kitchen accessories and I also didn’t want to pay the earth for them as the idea of this was to refresh the kitchen on a budget! Eventually I found the ideal ones on Amazon. They were £10 a pack so I ordered two packs of the shot ones and one pack of the long ones and have a load left over as spares.
I am so happy with how this little diy project turned out. There are a couple little things we still need to sort but they are quite hard wearing as out dog has a lovely habit of stretching against the cupboard doors and none of them have scratched so that’s great.
If any of you are thinking about painting your kitchen but worried about the durability of this I would say as long as you make sure you lacquer them once painted you should be ok.
I would love to hear about your experiences of painting furniture and anything you would do differently next time.
Back last year I bought a new coffee table and because I’m a lover of all things rose gold of course it had to be that colour. I searched and searched for months for the right style coffee table, and although there were plenty on the market they all seemed to have a black glass top which looks amazing when it clean but by god it doesn’t half attract the dust even when it’s just been wiped!
I didn’t want to get rid of the tables because one was a gift and the other less than a year old but something had to give as I was losing the war against the dust and mixed in with dribble finger prints from my one year old they always looked dirty!
I decided that I would like to update these with a marble top and as real marble is so expensive we opted to go for the cheaper alternative and wrap the tops in a marble effect vinyl. It has taken months to find marble effect vinyl that was long enough to wrap the tops without a join but finally this weekend we found the perfect roll in our local B&Q store.
As it was a flat surface it was fairly easy to to do, It just took a few attempts to get all of the air bubbles out from under the vinyl but I am so pleased with the result.
By wrapping the tops of our tables it has lifted the room so much and they match our decor so much better now. I wish I had done this months ago. For the sake of £10 we have transformed the centre price of our living room at what I would consider to be a bargain!
Have any of you guys attempted to update your furniture with sticky back plastic / vinyl, if so I would love to see your projects.
I had a new carpet fitted in my bedroom over the weekend and with this being the only component left to modernise the room from the old lady style decor of the person I bought the house from I felt that I wanted my night stands to match the room but I didn’t want to buy new ones just yet. I decided that vinyl wrapping them would hide the ugly worn marks that they had and bring them in line with the new colour scheme of the room.
Here is how they turned out. The first one took a bit longer and as really ain’t a pro at this it did take some time to get them right. I am really pleased with the finish and it was the perfect project for a rainy day.
I started from the top and worked my way down the cabinet. The top drawer was the trickiest because of the frosted window in it but after some perseverance I got there in the end! The handles were removed to give a professional finish.
Here are some half way through pics showing the progress I was making. It may have been very slow progress but I was progress non the less! perseverance is key when it comes to vinyl wrapping. It really isn’t for those with a short temper.
Cheeky one down, one to go shot!
I was really pleased with the difference that a clean finish made. Almost makes them look like new.
I would love to know you thoughts on this upcycling project and I would like to hear about your projects.